A random assorted collection of Athenian thoughts and happenings around the city of Athens, GA
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Sunday Parking Downtown
Parking is free everywhere downtown on Sunday, even the pay lots, but I have some irritation I need to get off my chest. First, I went to the drive-thru Bank of America ATM to get some cash and as I turned into the parking lot, several people had parked in the ATM lane, effectively blocking it off. I don't know why it rubbed me so raw, maybe it was from being a little hung-over from the 3 Christmas parties last night, but I was pissed. I tried to tell myself it was alright because these folks were probably looking for church parking, but does that excuse them to do what other folks get towed for any other time? Well, I ended up finding parking in the lot since it was after the service and walked to the ATM and got my cash, but when I turned around these folks coming from the church gave me this suspicious look as I walked from around the truck parked beside the ATM. This gave me another flash of anger, but I just found my calm spot and thought it's not worth blowing a gasket. My next bit of anger occurred while picking up the Grit cookbook a few minutes later for a Christmas gift. I was looking for street parking behind the Grit and noticed a cop in the church parking lot ensuring that people parking were attending service. I thought he should be keeping an eye on parking at the BofA lot when I realized that church lot had ample parking spaces open. Maybe the church lot was filled earlier but it seemed a waste to not be able to park there. Then, I felt a double slap as I was greeted by street parking taken up by shiny Cadillacs and Towncars then reading the bold reminder at the Bottleworks lot of "no Grit parking." I know that sign has always been there but the parking issue just seemed to taunt me all day today. What I want to know is has anyone ever been towed from that back Bottleworks lot? The spaces are on a half a block lot so why is parking so restricted? Also, should I call Bank of America and complain about the ATM being blocked? I really don't want to be "that guy" as I have complained about a lack of parking spaces downtown before, but I suspect there are spaces to be had Sunday morning around downtown, other than the ATM drive thru lane. Anyway, I parked at the Bottleworks lot anyway and just walked thru the Bottleworks on my way to the Grit; I didn't want to chance someone from the Bottleworks or the tow company staking out the lot. When I got back to my car, I wondered if I just became a bit of a hypocrite by technically parking illegally? Who knows; who cares. I just had to get some of this off my chest. I still don't feel better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment