A random assorted collection of Athenian thoughts and happenings around the city of Athens, GA

Friday, January 26, 2007

A new restaurant on Jefferson Road

The ACC Planning Dept will send the public email notifications of new building plans for all commission districts. Anyone can sign up regardless of where you live. It sounds very dull, but for the past 6 months, I have been on top of every new development and new business that has popped up on my side of town. That's how I found out that Dial America was moving into the old Winn Dixie at Homewood Shopping Center, which was a disappointment (while Bell's is adequate, it's missing many specialty goods that I look for in a grocery store). But, the big news today was that Cali N Tito's, which is currently at the old K-Bob on Lumpkin has submitted an application for plans review to remodel a building for a restaurant on the corner of Jefferson and Jefferson River Road. I'm thrilled because now we an actually walk to a restaurant with ease and because Bruno Rubio's restaurants have always been nice. I didn't think he would open one any time soon due to La Puerta del Sol on the Eastside, but I guess we'll see what happens in the coming months. It may be a while before it opens. My only concern is that this may signal the beginning of a major commercial corridor all the way down Jefferson Road. With the large volume of traffic and hordes of neighborhoods in the area, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. It's zoned commercial so I hope that future businesses can be convinced to break that cookie cutter mold seen on the East side and bring something unique to the area. Time will tell.

No comments: