A random assorted collection of Athenian thoughts and happenings around the city of Athens, GA

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ouch!

I was reading an article in Peach Pundit that criticized Al Gore's participation in "An Inconvenient Truth" while living in a mansion that consumed quite a bit of energy. One of the comments mentioned an online test on the "An Inconvenient Truth" website that evaluated a person's carbon footprint on the world. I couldn't find that test, but on the Earth Day website I found one even better, an ecological footprint test that tells a person the amount of resources he/she is consuming based on everyday habits. i thought I was doing a great job in limiting my meat intake, recycling, composting, and car pooling but it seems that I am still consuming enough resources that we would need 6.1 planets if every person on the planet lived as I do. Sort of depressing. How many planets would you consume? Here's my consumption demand:

CATEGORY IN ACRES
FOOD: 5.4
MOBILITY: 4.4
SHELTER: 8.4
GOODS/SERVICES: 8.6

TOTAL FOOTPRINT: 27

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON. WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON. IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 6.1 PLANETS AND BE DESTROYED BY CYLONS .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sucker!! My total was only 8!!

FOOD:2
Mobility: 0.7
Shelter: 2.7
Goods: 2.5

it's that vegan thing, yo.