A random assorted collection of Athenian thoughts and happenings around the city of Athens, GA

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The joy of local politics

I was talking with my honey the other day about local politics and realized I knew nothing about the current local candidates. I focused my attention to the mayor race to see what was going on. I knew Heidi since I voted for her the first go around and I still like her. Many people forget about Doc's rule, but I remember back in '98 when he was whoring for votes. He came to the very first River Rendezvous to show everyone his green side then quickly showed us his rear as he took office. I had just graduated from UGA full of beer and ideas, not knowing anything about Athens political history or Gwen O' Looney's reign. I just knew I liked this Doc character since he showed up to say how good a job we were doing protecting the waterways. After his stint in office is when I lost my faith in the system and politicians.
I'm a green activist, full of grass-roots hope and liberal dreams, so I realized quickly to be wary of anyone with strong ties to religion, development, or conservatives. Now, when I read this Flagpole article last week, it scared the hell out of me concerning Charlie Maddox. I did a little pryin, read some great articles in Athens Politics (I hope it's really not finished DDDY), and stumbled across a blurb for who's gonna be at the UGA's College Republicans forum tonight. That's right, Charlie Maddox. Charlie, man you're scaring me, big time. Your platform was as bare as a Tofu Baby strip but I thought maybe you just need some forum time to get your good points across, so I looked around and found out that the College Republicans thought you were good enough to invite with such favorites as commission candidate, James Garland who's Google website hit states he is a "Republican Candidate running for District 1 Commissioner in Athens-Clarke County of Georgia." I guess that non-partisan candidate crap couldn't protect you from Google. Hey James, I like your platform for solving poverty on your website: "I strongly feel that the solutions to intergenerational poverty lie with personal responsibility, not dependency: stay in school and make the best of the educational opportunities afforded to you; do not have children before marriage." Real smooth. That after-school special will solve the current problem now, won't it.
Obviously, I can only say that I am firmly against Charlie Maddox as Mayor. Andy Rusk, I wasn't sure about you at first but your blogs are entertaining in Athens Politics and you have the working man thing down to a science, but I'll have to watch you in action at a candidate forum first before I pass judgment one way or the other. I've liked an underdog mayoral candidate (Eric Krasle) before who seem to represent the townie class; however, younger/working class candidates tend to get eaten alive.
Alright, one last note. I usually don't pull race into any conversation I don't have too (whatever), but if it's good enough for the Maddox campaign, it's good enough for me. An email is going around, probably circulating among the black community as we speak, that is trying to sway the "black vote" which I find extremely disturbing and manipulative. I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but this reeks of subterfuge and decievery (I like using Bushisms). As a black man, I know I should be offended but I find the situation unbelievably shocking, and frankly rather funny. I guess my momma taught me enough independence to realize when I'm being duped. Check this email out that I'm guessing is suppose to take the black vote from a more Democratic-based candidate that would normally receive it. I won't blame Mr. Maddox directly, but keep a close eye on your publicity folks in case someone sent it from your campaign team; it's embarrassing. Alright, enough ass chewing for today.

No comments: