A random assorted collection of Athenian thoughts and happenings around the city of Athens, GA
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Do you have a tattoo?
Athens has experienced this for years. Tattoos and piercings are common with younger people. I am in my 30s now, but have 2 tattoos and work in a professional environment. My job is a bit more relaxed about dress codes but I guess I don't have to worry about it since mine are on my back and right arm. Now I'm sure I would have stood out like a sore thumb if I still had both ears pierced and dyed hair ( blond and red at different times). I guess I'm almost completely "normal" by average American standards, especially since I shaved off my dreds a few months ago. It was because it was too labor intensive to maintain not from pressures at work. I tried to keep them as clean and neat as possible but there only so much time that can be spent pulling animal hair and lint from all that hair. I do realize all of this was a part of me and I don't regret any of it. It's just new America coming of age. Piercings and tattoos are almost standard among younger people today. I still remember the electric-shock pain of the needle hitting nerves in my back when I added that tattoo almost 10 years ago, so I will have to wait to be truly inspired before I add a new one. I'm definitely not finished expressing myself but I do need to think about how far I'm willing to go with it and what job market I will be interested in later. It's a bit unrealistic to expect to be CEO with stretched earlobes and a neck tattoo, but maybe it's time to challenge all that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment